Skip to main content

CNN Money has an article up, Wendy's or Subway? Depends which way you vote, that makes the point that our minds, which are different for a whole host of reasons, make choices for restaurants that are in some ways similar to how we see politics.  I have a couple comments for Kossacks below the lace spaghetti squiggle.

The article uses the examples of Wendy's vs. Subway because at Wendy's, the choices are made for you in packaged menu items (#1 is a single hamburger, fries and a drink) whereas at Subway, you don't ever get away without making decisions about what it is you actually want on your sandwich, including bread, meat, various toppings, condiments, etc, etc.  They say Democrats like the already made choices, where Republicans like the full choice.

There are some things I might agree with this article, but in some ways I think it oversimplifies what can be a complex process.  For example, if I have a choice, I usually bring my lunch rather than going out to lunch.  Was that option available?  Not in the article.  If I do go out for lunch, what is around me?  I happen to have a number of restaurants close to me, so I can choose, if I want, from any of the name-brand national chains (though the closest Subway closed because the owner didn't pay his taxes...hmmmm....)  However, while I sometimes patronize them, there's a very delicious local chain of BBQ restaurants with one close by (Brothers BBQ) and I'd spend a couple of dollars more to have delicious food from a local shop.  There are also smaller, single location places, including a chinese restaurant with two entries for $6 and some sandwich, pizza and other places for cheap, quick food.  Not all are tasty, not all have giant conglomerates marketing to me, not all have websites so I can quickly see what I want and even place an order online.  But they're local people and they spend their money locally.  If I am practically broke, Costco and their $1.50 hotdog and soda, (plus samples) is only about 3 miles down the way.

Which brings me to my next point.  I'll shop at Costco because I like them and I like the way they treat their employees.  I think there are a lot of Kossack fans of Costco.  I used to have a Sam's club membership back about 20 years ago, but I dropped them when I stopped shopping at Walmart when I could.  I think Walmart has improved occasionally, when I read about how they helped get food and water to Katrina victims when the governments were sitting around wondering more about how this was going to play in the press rather than solving real live problems.  I also very much appreciate their increased use of alternative energy.  And then I read about their bribing of officials in Mexico and other countries so they can put up stores and I go back to just shopping in alternative locations.  Target is someplace I occasionally shop, but they've been pretty shaky on their support for LGBT employees, as well as with political contributions.  JCPenney, otoh, has been fantastic for that and I've done a little shopping there feeling good that it's going to a better company.

In the article they mention a few other brands that are favored by one party over another.  Progressive is favored by Democrats, they say, with Allstate favored by Republicans.  I have had insurance with Allstate for over 20 years (with one interruption), and I would not consider Progressive.  The Progressive "Snapshot" sounds very much like a Big Brother program watching how I drive, and that creeps me out far too much.  I might change from Allstate, but my agent has been very helpful and the only issue I've had with them has been with a company policy that has since been changed, probably due to losing customers like me for a time.

I encourage you to go read the story and add comments about whether you shop at places because you are a Democrat, Republican, Independent, locavore, online shopper or whatever other reasons you shop as you do.

Poll

Do you let your inner Progressive control where you shop?

2%1 votes
72%27 votes
2%1 votes
5%2 votes
10%4 votes
2%1 votes
0%0 votes
2%1 votes
0%0 votes
0%0 votes
0%0 votes

| 37 votes | Vote | Results

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  what are the credentials of the (7+ / 0-)

person making these conclusions?  Data are just data, the conclusions can be absolute garbage based on the assumptions and biases of the person interpreting the data.

A choice of Wendy's over Subway may reflect dozens of influences, age,  pricing,  especially the last few years, Wendy's dollar menu is pretty broad,  Subway it's pretty much four bucks and up.  Wendy's menu allows a number of subsitutions,   choice is actually pretty broad,  sandwich (lettuce/tomato/pickle/onion choices)with salad or fries or baked potato, drive thru versus go inside, etc.   I would say I eat at both for lunch pretty regularly,  both short distances from office, my dog influences my choices, if he's with me, we tend to do Wendy's for the drive thru and a double stack cheeseburger that we split because he loves cheeseburgers.   He eats the tuna and turkey from Subway's, too, but prefers cheeseburgers.

•  It's by a company called Buyology (2+ / 0-)
      commonmass, jfromga
      A new survey from the neuro-insight firm Buyology, released exclusively to Fortune, shows the two sides divided over a majority of 200 brands across a range of categories.
      So you can read more about them, including the study, at http://www.buyologyinc.com/
      •  the full report (3+ / 0-)
        ColoTim, Catte Nappe, BlackSheep1

though linked, is not there.  We know nothing about how they controlled for age, income, ethnicity, etc., all factors that influence consumer choices.

We know nothing of how the study questions and choices were structured.  If you asked me to randomly name my favorite restaurant, Subway and Wendy's wouldn't come up.

Favorite car of Democrats, a Jeep?  How many Democrats are there, how many Jeeps are sold??  Favorite car of Republicans, a BMW,  that may reflect an income bias, but not that many BMW's are sold either.  If we are talking fantasy or forced choices, we all know about Push Polling.  And then the conclusions with no more facts.

The website is big on self promotion, short on information.  Everything seems to be a proprietary function no mention of the science.  Take it for what it's worth.

•  Catering to your dog's taste preference (8+ / 0-)

Definitely a "progressive" indicator.

from a bright young conservative: “I’m watching my first GOP debate…and WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!”

by Catte Nappe on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:57:30 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  To be fair, (4+ / 0-)

My dad, the Republican, has a dog that loves breakfast jacks at Jack in the Box. So he goes to Jacks for her. I happen to know that he really doesn't like Jack's food either. But he orders her two breakfast jacks and himself a cheeseburger.

If McDs served egg mcmuffins all day, she would probably be willing to switch. She's a very reasonable dog. But if you've ever arrived at McDs at 10:29 am and tried to order breakfast, you know that isnt  going to happen ever.

Not all Republicans are Mitt Romney when it comes to their dogs.

Some may even be truly bipartisan on this issue. Maybe.

;)

© grover

by grover on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 01:55:38 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  If my dogs are with me, it's TOTALLY (3+ / 0-)
      ColoTim, Catte Nappe, jfromga

Arby's.

And no, I'm not joking. Although, since it was closest to the Costco gas station on our most recent road trip, they did manage to suffer with McD's cheeseburgers.

And that brings me to location. Having done road trips across much of the Midwest and all of the west, corporations self-select location. Starbucks are ubiquitous -- hysterically so -- in most major metropolitan areas. You don't even have to cross the street to get a latte: there's a Starbucks on opposing corners.

Get out into the suburbs, you can find one, but you have to work a little harder.

Rural area? Good luck.

Notice a trend?

Then this researcher says that Dems prefer Starbucks. Well yeah. Dems tend to live in metropolitan areas.

I was in North Dakota dying for a decent ( strong) cup of coffee and heck if I could find a Starbucks or something similar. Starbucks, Peets, Tullys, etc created the market. The market exists where they created it, where those people live. And this "researcher" yahoo is making judgements of the people based upon the fact that they use the product?

Hint: There is no Dunkin Dunuts on the Democratic West coast!

Does this all seem a bit circular to anyone?

© grover

by grover on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 01:46:16 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I go to Subway more often than Wendy's (6+ / 0-)

because the fat content is much lower. Did they account for the age difference between Democrats and Republicans? If not, their survey is pretty stupid.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there always is a difference. - Yogi Berra En théorie, il n'y a aucune différence entre théorie et pratique, mais en pratique, il y a toujours une différence. - Yogi Berra

by blue aardvark on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:33:48 AM PDT

•  Be careful about the dressings, if you have (2+ / 0-)
      commonmass, blue aardvark

a salad at Subway.  I have found that's what kills any "healthy" alternative, be it at a fast food or a sandwich shop or other location (I like Sweet Tomatoes and Souper Salad type places too).

•  I never have dressing at all (1+ / 0-)
        ColoTim

Corn syrup gives me headaches and it's hard to find a fast-food dressing without it.

by blue aardvark on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:51:35 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Subway here is much cleaner (4+ / 0-)

and I deliberately choose the one in the Flying J/Pilot truckstop, because it's not part of the local "franchise chain" with the local IHOPs (which are often featured on the local news' report of restaurant inspections, and not in a good way).

Wendy's used to be my choice when I had a steady job, 'cause I could get a baked potato or salad or a bowl of (not great but filling and cheap) chili there affordably. Nowadays not so much!!!!

But the idea that I want a "package deal" -- with NO choices -- is wrong.

I do prefer, in instances where the places have a good reputation (even if it's only with me) to patronize non-chain, locally-owned places.

Or fix something at home. Peanut butter (I found one I love, where the label on the back reads: INGREDIENTS -- Peanuts, sea salt) on whole wheat bread is cheap and satisfying.

LBJ & Lady Bird, Sully Sullenberger, Molly Ivins, Barbara Jordan, Ann Richards, Drew Brees: Texas is No Bush League! -7.50,-5.59

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 09:57:49 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  McDonald's. (2+ / 0-)
    ColoTim, commonmass

No Fox News in drive-thru.

2 of the little hamburgers (cheeseburgers if feel like living dangerously.  The bun is bigger than the patty.  I eat the excess bun off in a circle before eating the good stuff.  Love those little things.  I'm like Wimpy except I have to pay at the window, not next Tuesday.  Have to fight myself not to order more.

Milk (McDonald's is 1%)

Parfait sometimes.  Ice cream cone sometimes.

Clothes:  thrift stores, Costco, Eddie Bauer when flush.

Cars:  Smart

Gas:  ?

History merely repeats itself; it doesn't cure its own ills. That is the burden of the present.

by ZedMont on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:36:59 AM PDT

•  Once upon a time when Burger King (2+ / 0-)
      ZedMont, ColoTim

Was ascendant (early 70s) they called McD's regular burgers "shy burgers" because they hid under the pickles. BK's regular burgers did fit the bun and were very good. now McD's have come from under the pickle, fit the buns, and BK's are all but shy burgers.

•  Well, I don't know about fitting the bun. They (1+ / 0-)
        ColoTim

do fit the pickle, though.

by ZedMont on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 11:59:09 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Ordinarily I have no use for dehydrated onions, (2+ / 0-)
        ColoTim, devis1

but for some reason on a McBurger, they're irreplaceable.

by ZedMont on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 12:00:47 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  On onions (1+ / 0-)
          ColoTim

There was (still is in Dayton) a diner called White Tower where I'm from. I don't really remember their full menu, but for thin, greasy burgers they couldn't be beat. The "secret" was the grilled onions. They kept, on their cooktop, a pile of chopped, seasoned onions. And they smelled soooooo good.

One night, on the way to work I stopped for a couple of burgers. They only came with ketchup, mustard, and onions, not even pickles to my delight. Went to work, stowed my greasily fragrant bag of burgers in the bookshelf beside my position, went to the breakroom to get a pop, came back, and someone had stolen my hamburgers. Stolen them, hid out in the bathroom and ate them, all within a 1/2 hour. I suspect the culprit was one of my male co-workers because I never smelled burger wrappers in the ladies room.

It were all 'cause of them onions.

•  I won't give CNN a click, and especially (4+ / 0-)
    commonmass, ColoTim, Catte Nappe, chimene

not CNN "Money", but the concept is kind of funny.

I find it fascinating that the prevailing "wisdom" around here is dems do not need anyone to tell them what to believe and do.  And republicans are "top-down authoritarians" who have to be told what to believe and do.

And a fucking fast-food restaurant survey blows it all to hell LOL!

David Koch is fucking Longshanks, and Occupy is the real Braveheart.

by PsychoSavannah on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:45:22 AM PDT

•  I meant to vote "ice cream" (3+ / 0-)
    commonmass, ColoTim, Melanie in IA

In the Chicago area the guy that owns Oberweis dairy is the frequent losing candidate to various election contests.  We'll help him lose this fall also.

Can anyone comprehend the kind of dedication it takes to pass over an ice cream store for political cause?

I'm not liberal. I'm actually just anti-evil, OK? - Elon James White

by Satya1 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:45:49 AM PDT

•  I eat and shop local. (6+ / 0-)

I support my local fishermen and farmers by buying at co-ops and farm stands (you can support the fishermen of my town too by ordering your seafood from Port Clyde Fresh Catch--they ship!). I like to choose independent restaurants over chains. There are lots of wonderful places to eat in Maine. Today in Portland a Kossack friend of mine and I are going to patronize the excellent little Eritrean restaurant. It's family-owned and operated.

I'm all about keeping Maine money in Maine. Instead of WalMart or Target, I shop at Reny's, a Maine chain of target-like stores.

Other states are undoubtedly different, but it's not hard to shop local here in Maine.

Santorum: Man on Dog; Romney: Dog on Car. Ren and Stimpy: Dog on Cat equalitymaine.org

by commonmass on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:46:09 AM PDT

•  Subway's $5 footlongs (3+ / 0-)
    ColoTim, Catte Nappe, fumie

has allowed my husband and I to 'eat out'- and stay healthy doing it.

Now that the weather is getting nice, we take our sandwiches down to the beach (no parking fees after 5:00PM) and enjoy.

I have never liked Wendy's.

Our other 'cheap dates':

The food court at the mall ($6 chicken teriyaki)

Pizza- (we have a few favorite spots)

A local 'pit stop' off of a highway. (We can pretend to be traveling- eat cheap hot dogs and people watch.)

Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is purely optional

by grannycarol on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:50:49 AM PDT

•  This guy Singer's theory is absurd. (6+ / 0-)

"A common thread, Buyology CEO Gary Singer posits, is whether consumers would rather cede decision-making power to a central authority -- a Democratic tendency -- or see that power distributed, the favored Republican approach."

This is as stupid as sixteenth-century judicial astrology, which made predictions about the future based on plants and natural shapes that seemed to resemble humans; or predictions about events based on celestial formations' resemblance to things recognizable on earth.

Wendy's and Subway are both massive multinational restaurant chains where every decision about what happens in the stores is made by a "central authority."

But the two chains are totally different in a way not taken into account by Buyology:  Wendy's offers drive through, Subway doesn't.

So we could say that people who opt for drive through tend to have less free time or liberty to spend on parking the car, getting out of the car, going inside, and waiting on line, than people who opt for Subway.  Which might mean that the people who have less time are people who work harder for more hours and less pay.  Which might account for there being more Dem-leaning respondents among the folks who opt for drive through food.

What a stupid piece of reporting this CNN article is.

That's one more thing to add to my long list of small problems. --my son, age 10

by concernedamerican on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:51:04 AM PDT

•  Or maybe (1+ / 0-)
      ColoTim

we could simply say people who use a drive-through are lazy and don't feel like walking a few feet to get that fat filled burger and fries?  Who can say for sure?

•  But then Dems are lazy? Your comment doesn't (1+ / 0-)
        ColoTim

respond to Singer's attempt to correlate Wendy's consumption to Dems.

by concernedamerican on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 09:09:48 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I took it as sarcasm on the assumptions of the (1+ / 0-)
          Melanie in IA

study (or at least the lack of revelation of them).  You can assume anything at all, but then your study would be based off your assumptions, not off something scientifically observed.

I like the holes people are poking in the study.

•  Or maybe we can simply say that (1+ / 0-)
        ColoTim

you've never been rushed for time as you fly to pick up the kids from daycare before they start penalizing you (and many fast food restaurants make an extra effort to move the drive through line more quickly than the in-store lines); that you've never had a car full of children that are difficult to load, bring into a store, and load up again; that you're not a person with a disability that makes driving through a much easier way to get a meal; and that you don't live somewhere like Seattle where ducking in and out of stores to run all your errands leaves you absolutely drenched, so a drive through restaurant, pharmacy, dry-cleaners, etc is always a welcome sight.

Sure, let's attack other working and middle-class people for being fat and lazy. That works.

© grover

by grover on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 01:04:39 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  There it is (1+ / 0-)
      ColoTim
      Wendy's offers drive through, Subway doesn't.

Tracy B Ann - technically that is my signature.

by ZenTrainer on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 10:31:45 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  We do have a Subway here (2+ / 0-)
      ColoTim, concernedamerican

That's remodeled from a Burger King so they kept the drive-thru. There are a couple of tiny new stores that I don't think have drive-thrus. But our only Paneras just installed a drive-thru altho I don't know how that's going to work out. While they're fast enough I wouldn't call them "fast food".

•  asdf (3+ / 0-)
    ColoTim, Catte Nappe, lulusbackintown

Ticking off answers to the samples listed in the article, my answers fell in the columns of "both" or "neither" almost every time.

"tossing replies that were either too slow or suspiciously fast"
    So, they get to choose which results they like? Whatever.

Weathering Michigan's recessions since the '70s.

by jennifree2bme on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:55:30 AM PDT

•  Inane (4+ / 0-)

If they print a horoscope it's probably got more meaningful answers.

I had to laugh, though. IF I do fast food at all, my two preferred stops are....Subway or Wendy's. Reason - convenient proximity for both. Healthier choices at Subway, smaller sandwich and cheap value meal at Wendys. I'd also note that Subway has it's own "pre-numbered" menu choices. The rationale behind the conclusions looks like starting with a preconceived notion, (mindless nanny staters vs independent thinkers) then analyzing results to fit the preconception.

And what about this part?

The method involved asking 4,000 respondents to answer quickly -- think Malcolm Gladwell's Blink -- and tossing replies that were either too slow or suspiciously fast.
    As me if I prefer baseball to football, and I am going to have to think awhile because I don't care for either. Ask me a preference between a book and a movie and you'll have the answer before you can finish your sentence.

by Catte Nappe on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:55:47 AM PDT

•  Go to subway more often (2+ / 0-)
    ColoTim, Catte Nappe

Because they're the only one close to work. No Wendy's around. What a stupid study.

Just another day in Oceania.

by drshatterhand on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 09:14:38 AM PDT

•  McDonald's vs. independent (4+ / 0-)

Quite a few years ago, close to the neighborhood where I lived at the time, there was an independent burger place in a little strip mall. They did quite good business, from what I could tell on my visits there.

Until McDonald's opened a new store right across the street.

Within a couple of months, the independent joint closed up for good. I continued going there after McD's opened, but it seemed like I was the only one. I knew there was no way they could survive long term, but was surprised at how quickly the end came.

The independent joint served up quite good food, well prepared, and at only slightly higher prices than the place across the street, which served inedible crap (IMHO, your mileage may vary) in huge quantities. But they got beaten, crushed, stomped, destroyed.

I'm not familiar precisely with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said, whatever it was. - Classic RomneyBot 2012

by lotac on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 09:33:31 AM PDT

•  I go to Jersey Mike's for my sub sandwiches (2+ / 0-)
    ColoTim, commonmass

because I like the Mike's Way they put on my sub sandwich. I shop at Central Market, which is an upscale version of H-E-B, Target, and at outlet stores to save money on clothes. I rarely step foot in a shopping mall. Most of my food is made at home, and we do eat out every now and then.

•  dine at home (2+ / 0-)
    ColoTim, Melanie in IA

rarely shop.

i go to the regular grocery store not wal-mart.

-You want to change the system, run for office.

by Deep Texan on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 09:51:40 AM PDT

•  Anything but Chik-fil-a (4+ / 0-)
    ColoTim, Melanie in IA, devis1, commonmass

Corporate donations put them to the right of the John Birch Society.

" You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" -Richard Bach, From Illusions, The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah.

by Niniane on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 10:10:41 AM PDT

•  When I need a burger (5+ / 0-)

I go to a local place called Bellaire Broiler Burger - wonderful.

I prefer local over chains any day of the week. best Mexican in the city are the locals as well as some of the best Vietnamese sandwiches.

Ok, need lunch now.

The Spice must Flow!

by Texdude50 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 10:15:24 AM PDT

•  You must live in Houston. (2+ / 0-)
      ColoTim, Texdude50

My favorite Mexican restaurant in Houston is La Mexicana at Fairview and Montrose. Go there on a Friday afternoon and you can see them making the tortillas by hand for the weekend right out in the dining room. I know what I'm getting when I go there especially the delicious tomatillo salsa. Just thinking of it makes me miss Houston.

Of course there is a local chain, Ninfas, but it's not quite my speed (even if I was the cantor at Mama Ninfa's funeral mass).

by commonmass on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 02:09:01 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  This diary made me hungry. (2+ / 0-)
    Progressive Mom, ColoTim

So I'm tackling the other half of the $5 burrito I bought last night for dinner at the little locally owned Mexican taco stand (complete with drive through, so I can bring the dogs even though it's god-awful hot here).

Freshly made. Five dollars. Dinner last night, lunch today, and Ill probably have enough left over for lunch tomorrow, unless the dogs sweet talk me into sharing.

And it tastes amazing. My rule for eating out is that the food has to be something that I can't cook as well or for the same price at home. This easily passes both tests.

For $10, my husband and I can have dinner (he gets the platter, which comes with side dishes), with leftovers

To paraphrase JeffW, "Wendy Who?"

© grover

by grover on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 01:17:06 PM PDT

•  We avoid both. It's not always easy (2+ / 0-)
    ColoTim, Catte Nappe

but we try to buy local, especially when it comes to food.  A diner, a local dive, a local deli or sandwich shop, local bakery.

I know there are parts of the country where eating local isn't always an option but thankfully it is for us.

And you can develop a nice rapport with the folks who are working in the local shops, because chances are they will still be working there next month....

...as long as we continue to support their businesses.

(Ahem:  I am reminded my Son #1 that we are suckers for the fries at Five Guys.  Of this, I am very guilty, but can only eat them infrequently.  Fat, salt and all that, you know...)

•  Oh. I tipped and rec'd. I think the study is awful (1+ / 0-)
    ColoTim

But the conversation here is a good one, and anytime we stop and think about where we're spending our cash is a good discussion to have -- including whether we should be spending it at all. Is that $6 super max burger really worth it, plus fries and a soda for $10? What else can you do with $10 that may be more meaningful to you? I happen to think that fast food is one of the biggest wastes of money in the average American budget that most people don't even notice unless they save their receipts for several months then total it all up.

It's often a couple hundred dollars. Ouch.

Thanks Tim. Good topic.

© grover

by grover on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 02:06:21 PM PDT

•  This "study" is BS (1+ / 0-)
    ColoTim

Of all the ways in which a person's political views can influence their food, this is one I never would have thought of. If liberals really prefer to cede all lunchtime decision making to a "central authority", why do we prefer Starbucks to Dunkin' Donuts? Starbucks makes it much easier to customize your beverage than Dunkin' does.

One thought that came to mind is that many liberals prefer to support local businesses when possible. I would think that most areas have some local sandwich shops that are at least as good as Subway. The Wendy's experience (cheap burger, speed, the drive through) would be more difficult for a local business to emulate, thus a Democrat might go to Wendy's more often than Subway. Hard to say though, as the article said nothing about the question being asked.

For the record, I'm as Democratic as they come, and I love Subway. I can't even remember the last time I ate at Wendy's.

Politics from a pragmatic progressive perspective at my blog: mypartisanship.posterous.com "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"--Martin Luther King

by foreverblue on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 06:38:28 PM PDT

•  most of my meals are home cooked (1+ / 0-)
    ColoTim

I pack my lunch every day & I buy 80% of my grocery at a local co-op grocery store. Also, I'm vegetarian with vegan aspirations, so there's just no where I fit in that article.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site